Thursday, November 13, 2008

To DC or not to DC

It came to my attention that skateboarding has come a long way from where it started. Not just trucks, wheels, wood, and all of the other components, but with a popular shoe branded (cue heroic intro music) DC Shoe Co. Founded in 1993 by Ken Block and Damon Way, no one had a clue of how much of an impact this little shoe company coming out of Vista, California would have. If you grew up in the 90's and had some sort of alternative style you had to have a pair. Big and bulky was the way they came, usually paired with a massive pair of baggy pants that overlapped the shoes so much you would get home with torn hems. But oh how things have changed. Since I can remember I always needed to have a coolest pair, nothing else mattered. Whenever a Pro's model came out they would sell out everywhere. Even now, I got stoked when they came out with a true mid top style. I probably wont get them but some kid out there is on Zappos getting them.

Time goes fast and with all of the other big name shoe companies out there DC Shoes are still pushing strong (now owned by Quiksilver as of 2004), while changing the style of their shoes as time advanced. Everywhere you look now days you can see some type of footprint. Whether it's a pre-teen boy on the board for the first time or the business woman who goes surfing on the weekend, you're gonna notice. Once a "bulky shoe comes first" style to a sleek, dynamic, earth friendly shoe that can and will prevail through the hands of time.

Kick Push,
D

5 comments:

Trent said...

Back when I skated, in the 1800's or so, they didn't have skate shoes. I just shredded all my new shoes. Good times, though!
Hey, ask J to input the name/url field for comments. Good luck, I have to submit requests myself. ;) FYI, she's seeing how far you will take this before adding the necessities.

Anonymous said...

I have a pair of DC's! I don't skate or surf or anything, but I thought they were really cute and they were only $40!

PS. Nice header!

Anonymous said...

Omg, and remember the bump toe Airwalks? Now those were the shit. Everyone in Scappoose was rocking them. Lol.

DC's are comfy. And the designs are getting better and better.

Jennifer Robertson said...

Great post!I'm always happy to see some love for DC in the blog world. I'm proud to work for a company that continues to stand the test of time.

The designers of our core skate line have really stepped up the tech features on the core shoes in the last few seasons- they look hot and they're really amazing to skate in too.

Looking forward to reading your future posts!

Katy said...

Damn I wish my Boyfriend would start blogging!

Good luck Donny!!!